Why Setting up Goals is Important for Personal Development


I find goals, direction, and plans to reach them a bit overwhelming.

One evening, after submitting a writing project for a publication I was about to get off the couch when this thought occurred to me.    

Unless I plan where I want to head, I won’t know where to take my next step. Should it be towards the kitchen, dining hall or some other room?

This simple exercise gave me clarity and I realized how important it is to have, and know our goals.

My goal that evening was to reach a place ‘away’ from the couch, which I did.
Where and how I wanted to achieve was the point. Sitting on that couch was definitely not going to help me get there.

This is a simple demonstration of why the goal-setting process is important.

If I have to apply this in my everyday life, both personal and professional, it would happen somewhat in this manner.

Assuming my goal is to get a driver’s license, my next logical step would be to buy a guide, study and take the level one test. Followed by some practical training on a simulator and then learning on the road. Finally taking the test to gain my license to drive.

In this case success at each step is linked to reaching the next level. And as you can see, they all need preparation.

In the beginning, goal starts off as an idea, then it goes through these stages of planning and following a direction to reach and attain.

In simple terms to reach, to achieve and to gain, we need to desire it, to want it so bad that we dream about it. But that dream is just a starting point.

That intangible something has to become tangible and for that you need to signal your mind to work towards setting goals and achieving them.

And this is the point where most people like me face challenges.  

I can clearly see and understand the mechanism of it all.
Implementation is my problem.

I realized my imagination was perhaps developed. But it did not help much.
I really needed my mind to work for me and help me turn my intangibles into tangibles.

Years of being involved in mundane and completely unproductive routine had blunted my mind. I had unintentionally lost track of the basic essentials for the upkeep of my mind and its health.

Therefore the first step I took was to sign up for some basic writing courses. Even though I had professional experience before I fell off track, I knew it was essential and a key to start developing my mind.

Working on solving test papers gave my mind a big boost and my confidence level soared too.

There was no stopping after that because I had opened up one of the facets of my mind and that was enough to lead me to work on others.

Tips and reminders:

·      Mind is a tool and to never let it get blunted
·      If I lose it, there will be no replacement/s available
·      Learn a skill
·      Work on quizzes and puzzles
·      Keep the mind as active as possible
·      Replace negative and idle thoughts


Ranga Rajah 

 1Photo by Peter Fogden on Unsplash 
 2: Photo by Ember + Ivory on Unsplash 

Comments

Popular Posts